Many of us may be familiar with checking food labels for nasties but how often do we check our beauty products?
So I’m super excited to be taking part, alongside other bloggers… in a campaign to spread the word on cleaner beauty – ‘Spring cleaning your beauty routine’!
The campaign focuses on increasing awareness around – ‘what’s really in your beauty products’, and to encourage you to detox your bathroom shelves, swapping these for cleaner cosmetics.
Over the recent years no doubt there has been a shift and increasing emphasis to adapting a cleaner beauty routine, which not only benefits our health but the environment. We are starting to realise the negative impact chemicals are having both on our skin and the damage to the planet, especially those of micro beads.
Cleaner Beauty – some facts
‘So what is cleaner beauty?’ – you may ask and what really is the impact, not only on our skin but also the planet. These are all issues we probably don’t think about when we buy our favourite skincare products, with brands lurking us in with glossy advertising!
Research has shown that on average we apply twelve different cosmetics daily without even taking time to stop and think the whole host of different synthetic ingredients, lurking in our morning skincare routine. After all our skin is the largest organ in our body and 60% of what we apply is absorbed into our bodies.
What does clean beauty mean to me?
Being a therapist, wellbeing is something very close to my heart. Therefore, trying to minimising the amount of chemicals I use on my skin is important to me.
I personally feel cleaner beauty isn’t just about taking steps to reduce chemicals from my skincare routine but taking a holistic approach to beauty and wellbeing – whereby everything is connected and the effect it is having on the planet.
We all know making small changes in life really makes a difference!
My steps towards cleaner beauty
- Detoxing my skincare regime is something I’ve become increasingly passionate about, which is a journey of discovery to enjoy and not letting it take over – it’s about finding a balance!
- My personal approach is, ‘less is more’ – we don’t need a bathroom full of synthetic ingredients but fewer carefully chosen products , which work as multitaskers! I use Calendula Shampoo and Body Wash, especially when my skin is particularly sensitive and stressed. It’s so gentle and calming.
Another multitasker is – Skin Food which has a cult following and best described as – ‘magic in a green tube’!! I use it for all areas of my body and absolutely love it as a face mask!
- By no means can we go from one day using lots of chemicals to the following day chemical-free – it’s about making small changes. Maybe begin by replacing one of your everyday essentials eg. swapping your conventional deodorant to a natural/organic deodorant and see how you fair.
- Start reading labels (yes it can be very daunting and many I can’t even pronounce!) and familiarise yourself with some commonly used ingredients and looking out for a natural or organic certification logos – such as NATRUE which are on all Weleda products and the COSMOS logo. There is also an App called SkinNinja which is worth having a look at.
- It’s a gradual process, making small changes and perhaps deciding which chemicals you may wish to eliminate from your beauty routine. It may be SLS/SLES, known as foaming agents, commonly found in body washes – which have a very drying effect on the skin, stripping it of good skin bacteria and it’s natural protection.
You know that feeing after you’ve showered – ‘skin feels itchy, dry and crying out for some moisture’!
- Being a therapist I tend to wash my hands very frequently, so foaming agents is one I’ve chosen to try and avoid. Otherwise my hands become sore, dry and cracked.
Once you begin to make changes to your routine you will be amazed at how much healthier and happier you skin feels…
So what are my favourite Weleda products?
Weleda are not only 100% certified natural but operate sustainably and ethically, which is very important for me when choosing a brand. Their focus is on supporting the health and wellbeing of the customer – adopting a holistic approach.
Weleda have kindly gifted me this beautiful 3 drawer set – consisting of body washes, body lotions and body oils, which I’m absolutely loving! This would make an amazing gift and perfect sizes for travelling – which all come in full sizes! A perfect way to discover your favourites!
I’m a huge Weleda fan so it’s quite difficult to narrow down my favourites from the set. However, I really love their body oils which I will change as I move through the seasons and my mood. As a massage therapist Arnica oil is a must for everyone – it works wonders for those achy muscles! It’s still Spring time so I love using the Sea Buckthorn but I must say there is something about Rose… especially moving into Summer!
My other current Weleda favourites – Gentle Cleansing Foam, Skin Food, Almond Face Cream, Calendula Shampoo & Body Wash and Rose Lip Balm – the list could go on!!
Other companies which I love to use are Trilogy, Moa, and Neals Yard Remedies. As an Aromatherapist I also love experimenting with various blends using my essential oils! Fragrance just makes me happy!
- I would love to hear if you are keen to find out more?
- What products you are currently using?
- Whether you find it very confusing how beauty/cosmetic companies package their products?
- Maybe you are struggling with a current skin condition, such as acne or eczema and fed up with harsh chemicals on your skin.
Then I would love you to get involved and to discover your thoughts on a move towards cleaner beauty – not just for your skin but also the environment!
Finally, please feel free to share this with all your friends – spreading the word of #cleaner beauty! You can also find at more on my social media accounts – my blog Facebook and Instagram and my business at Harmonizing Therapies – Facebook and Instagram. Enjoy!